[Strawbale] Re: psocids

peter van balen peter at tentotwo...
Tue Jul 8 14:54:56 CEST 2008

Thanks René and Chug,

The bales are pretty dry; the were very dry when put in place (because
they'd been stored in a polytunnel) and I'm (99%) sure there's no humidity
problem: the outside of the walls is, temporarily, covered with a waterproof
and vapour open rainscreen; the inside is not covered; the roof is
waterproof (rainscreen + tiles); humidity measurements don't show damp
spots. I don't see millions of them either: a few dozen or so per window bay
(that's where they are more visible, I guess).

So I remain a bit puzzled (maybe they're not psocids?)
Peter

PS: We'll start plastering mid-August

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:43:23 +0200
From: Rene Dalmeijer <rene.dalmeijer at hetnet...>
Subject: [Strawbale] Re: Strawbale Digest, Vol 34, Issue 1
To: strawbale at amper....muni.cz

Peter,

The house I just built had some psocid infestation a few weeks ago.
But now the moisture levels have dropped again after the finish
plaster they have disappeared again as is the case in all the
instances I know about. psocids need some moisture. Possibly there is
an area somewhere maybe on the outside of the walls where the moisture
is sufficiently higher to support the psocids. You should strive
though to add the first layer of plaster as soon as possible inside
and out. This is a sure cure to psocids with dry bales if they persist
it is a sure sign of moisture somewhere.

Rene