[Strawbale] Straw bales in Spain

valentina valentina at ara-b...
Wed Dec 17 12:46:30 CET 2008

One very good thing in Spain (catalunya-valencia) is that you can find
rice-straw that is a good quality of straw for building
Every year the quality change....because of different growth-water in
the field...so you really must check your supplier year by year..
At the moment there are no expert supplier as you can find in
germany....but we are working at the european level to set a sistem of
local certification...

We made already 4 legal-houses and1little community building....to do
so we use information of tests from other country and a lot of talks
with pubblic officers...

Now the law of building has change and in a way is a better change for
straw bale because allows much more innovation...on the other hand the
pubblic offcials ara more insecure because they still don't know the
new procedures...so they are more careful and ask for much more
accuracy....

For insurance...if you use a wood structure or another "traditional"
structure you can get insurance.....the simple one...if you want the
insurance that allows you to sell the house before ten years have been
passed...than you have much more trouble and you may need to go trough
a quiet complex procedure of testing and controls....

un saludo, valentina

arq. valentina maini
arquitectos ara B sccl.
www.ara-b.org-valentina at ara-b...
t.f. +34 933197631
ronda sant pere 58, pralB 08010 barcelona