[Strawbale] Brilliance is subjective

Catherine Wanek blackrange at zianet...
Fri Jun 1 03:16:48 CEST 2007

RE recent discussion about strawbale book resources  --  Small
Strawbale, and the Building with Awareness DVD and Guidebook (BWA).

I am a fan of both of these resources.  While I agree with Rob Tom
that there are improvements that could be make in the BWA building, I
personally feel that this DVD is the best how-to video I have seen on
strawbale -(including my own, and some broadcast TV programs).  And
the accompanying Guidebook shows in step-by-step detail many aspects
of construction I have not seen anywhere else.  The last chapter of
the Guidebook in fact does mention several things that the
owner/builder/filmmaker Ted Owens would do differently.

To be fair, Ted was building to New Mexico code, which was written in
the mid 1990's -- and the worldwide knowledge of SB has advanced much
since then.  But the code has not.  Thus Ted had to use rebar pins,
wire mesh, etc., which many experienced straw-bale builders now would
choose to avoid.  Therein (I believe) lie Rob Tom's criticisms.

But Ted did build a small house that incorporates strawbale exterior
walls, an adobe interior wall, earth plasters, clay  paints,
cellulose ceiling insulation, a rubble trench foundation, radiant
floor heat, salvaged oak flooring, double-pane low-e windows,
900-watt photovoltaic solar panels, rainwater catchment and cistern
storage, and a greywater system.  His 830 square-foot hybrid home is