[Strawbale] straw itch mite

lieve van landeghem lieve.vanlandeghem at skynet...
Thu Feb 15 23:41:26 CET 2007

Hi Amit,
I have had psocids is my house too, in Flanders.  The seemed to have a
noticible preference for the white painted ceilings.  I moved into it July
2004 and it took me some 2 years to get rid of them.  Each late autumn their
number sized down drastically, I suppose had to do with that the heating had
been switched on.
To my experience the only harm they can do is psychologic.  After weeks of
daily vacuuming for an hour without visible results, I stopped the vacuum
cleaning and decided to ignore them, which did not result in increasing
their number.
The psocids I had when young are white, almost transparent, when older they
grow a little darker.  Here are some photo's.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=psocids&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Good luck.
Lieve

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:38:12 +0100
From: "Amit Kvint" <amitkvint at gmail...>
Subject: [Strawbale] straw itch mite
To: "European strawbale building discussions"
<strawbale at amper....muni.cz>

Hi there,

I have built my SB home & moved in last June.

The house is amazing and we are very happy.

Since we have moved in I noticed there are these small bugs that you see
once in a while tiny ones, can hardly be seen, and usually in groups. I have
looked these last few days on the net and am quite sure now that they are
"straw itch mite", does anyone know anything about this mite? the effect it
might have on the bales etc...? any info will be appreciated.

Regard,

Amit

Message: 3