[Strawbale] RE: Any strawbalers from SK or CZ?

Jana Hanulova janocka at yahoo...
Sat Feb 3 23:52:45 CET 2007

Greetings,

  First of all, thanks to everyone for the quick replies. We are going to reply to everyone individually, but realised we might as well post some more general information for everyone.

  We are hoping to get started on the house sometime in August. If anyone is interested in joining us for the building process, we would of course be extremely happy - so if you are interested, send us your e-mail address, and we will contact everyone as soon as we know the exact start date. The location will be in beautiful hilly/foresty surroundings.

  As far as the actual house plan goes, we have an idea which we want to develop into a definite design plan in the near future, but we are still open to suggestions. We are thinking of something alternative, in terms of the shape and space layout, relying on natural materials (Straw bale, wood, stone, lime...), and maximising solar passive design. As far as the shape goes, innitially we were going for a spiral design, but found it difficult to get it to do and look like what we wanted. We are quite influenced by this house: www.simondale.net/house , in terms of the organic shapes, in particular the fusion of the roof and wall structural beams. At its most basic, it will not be a "box-shape" house. So if anyone has any ideas they are interested in sharing/trying out, please let us know.

  The house will also be off-grid, so we will be adressing all the renewable energy, waste disposal/recycling, water, etc issues as well, but first we want to concentrate on finalising the house design, so we can get the ball rolling with the planning permission authorities....

  Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

  Jana and Ivan