[Strawbale] Concrete Base - foundations question??

Stewart at TSHargrave....uk Stewart at TSHargrave....uk
Tue Apr 3 14:47:45 CEST 2007

On 2 Apr 2007 at 14:59, Cummings, Simon wrote:

Simon,

To actually try and answer your question...

In my experience, nearly all SB buildings have some sort of foundation plate that the
straw bales are built upon. That is to say, a wooden platform, usually about 100mm
thick and about as wide as a bale, running all around the edge of the foundations, and
anywhere else a SB wall is to be built.

Because of the hollow nature of this plate (it's usually made of studding sandwiched
between plywood, or similar), it allows the bottom of the bale a little ventilation, and even
drainage, if necessary. It also, importantly, raises the bale above floor level, so that if
there is any water spillage it won't soak the bales. On a solid concrete floor, this will be
important. Given the intended use of your building, it may even be a good idea to make
the plate a little thicker, so that the bottom bale is raised a little more.

I've also seen a goatshed build upon loose laid concrete blocks (laid flat, lengthways
across the foundation, each separated by a couple of inches), though I'm not sure this is
ideal.

Environmental consideration are of course important, but I also happen to thing that
pragmatism is important. Responsible use of concrete (and steel) can have a place in
SB building.

--
Stewart H.