[Strawbale] re RE: The BIG question (Michael Lough)

paul sheraton psheraton at hotmail...
Fri May 12 19:29:14 CEST 2006

Hi Michael

thanks for your reply.

By coincidence I found  a link this to a pilot study from Canada which
highlights my basic concern expressed in my original post, you might be
interested.

Pilot Study of Moisture Control in Stuccoed Straw Bale Walls | CMHC
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/inpr/bude/heho/heho_004.cfm

Its a study of cement stucco finished straw bale walls and the possible
negative effects this could have in trapping moisture in the wall, promoting
problems with damp.

My concern is that in colder climates clients/homebuilders go for "security"
and put on a cement render for protection against the elements when its
possible this might cause problems in the future. I would be genuinly
interested to know what percentage of reported failures of straw bale
structures were cement stuccoed.

There is a classic case froma few years back in the UK. A couple built a
straw bale house which was followed on a programme on  national TV. The
architect decided the prudent approach was to cover the outside in weather
proof cladding, metal cladding. Interstitial condensation and the straw
started to rot. The cladding was replaced but of course most people just
remember the straw  rotting unfortunately

abientot
Paul