[Strawbale] re RE: The BIG question (Michael Lough)

Michael lough michaelklough at sympatico...
Thu May 11 15:40:35 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

The original qoute I responded to said failures reported in NE America. I
didnt say all buildings in America were ciment rendered

sorry my misunderstanding…

just my observation that  quite a few have been, especially in cold snowy
areas like the NE.

well Canada qualifies I think in this regard and Portland/Lime mixes are
considered acceptable here by a few. The issue seems to be whether or not
testing was done on the long term effects of using a non permeable material
in sufficiently high quantities in a bale render allowing for convection
currents within the bale wall assembly itself. I havn't seen anything on
this here and have only read of experiments in Europe.

A stucco plaster is called stucco

Thanks for this. I have been labouring under a misunderstanding. A quick
check proves you are in fact correct.

I thought for a while that I should crusade on behalf of the word cement as
it seems it is a word that has come to mean Portland cement whereas it was
originally meant to mean something more broad as in cementitious but
realised the futility of it eventually .

I understand that in drier areas like Arazona, clay or lime based plasters
are used, in colder, wetter areas ciment/lime finishs are more ususally
used.

Not sure if it is quite that cut and dry not having the figures

It is a shame that there does aopear to be a tendancy to try and ignore
problems/failures in in case the "cause" is damaged. I think there is a
tendency to panic at the eleventh hour and put on a ciment based finish.

It is a difficult question and perhaps there is no easy answer. If one
wished to why not build for a short building lifetime with recyclable
materials? If the walls rot take the house to pieces and build again.
perhaps the idea of "permanence" established in European culture as a
desirable necessary quality for a building is less developed in North
America where hunter gatherers lived in animal hide mobile structures not so
long ago. The advantage of using lime/sand only can perhaps only be realised
(or not) through experience and the only true test, that of time perhaps.

adios

Michael