[Strawbale] Sound insulation with regards to a recording studio

paul sheraton psheraton at hotmail...
Sun Mar 26 21:02:55 CEST 2006

Hi Walter

I can only offer you my perspective as I understand it. Im currently
designing a straw bale sound recording studio/center though it differs from
your project in that it is new build and will be in the countryside.

My apologies in advance if I am saying anything you already know, these are
just my thoughts on the matter.

>From what I can see, depending on the complexity of the project and what is
trying to be achieved, straw bales can go a long way to treating certain
aspects of accoustic design. However accoustic treatment is very complex and
for the level of sound control required for recording studios I feel that
straw bales by themselves might not be enough. 55 bd is good but not a huge
amount.

Bass sounds are the most difficult frequencies to control, the ususal
approach being high density materials along side techniques to isolate
structural elements so as to reduce resonances and transfer of vibrations
through the building. Plasterboad doubled or tripled up is considered a good
material for reducing low frequency noise transmittence, or a thin lead
sheet like material sandwiched between two sheets of plasterboard. Behind or
on top  this would normaly go some kind of foam material to help absorb and
disperse higher frequency sounds, bearing in mind that most materials absorb
HF noise anyway.

While bales are a good material for absorbing mid to high frequency sounds,
I feel they dont have the density to cover the lower frequencies. Prehaps if
larger sized jumbo bales were used to increase mass but this isnt really an
option for refurbishments.

Maybe the bales can be coated with a thick dense plaster to absorb the bass
sounds, but care needs to be made that the plaster and bales are isolated
from the structure, including roof and floor etc.

The angles of the walls is also very important, you dont want to have
parallel walls setting up standing waves,  and  avoiding wall sizes which
are multiples of themselves is also important. (you probably already know
this but I include it for anyone interested)

The approach that I am taking is to build a timber framed straw bale
structure and then create suspended floors, walls and ceilings inside. Wood
as a covering for walls,floor and ceiling gives good colouration to the
performing and recording enviroment though again it depends on what type of
sound you are trying to create.

Just an idea but If you are thinking about building bale walls inside an
existing structure Im wondering if it might be possible to create a "bass
trap" by leaving a cavity between the existing and new structure. the bass
sound would pass through the bales into the void and if that side of the
bales were left unplastered the bass noise would bounce off of the existing
structure and back onto the bale to be absorbed. To stop the bass noise
passing out through the existing structure it might be necissary to line it
with plywood on battens so that it is the ply that resonates and bounces the
bass back and not the existing wall. Lifting the straw bales walls of off
the floor would be a great help along with a  suspended floor inside the
studio isolated from the walls and probably a suspended ceiling.

Good luck, keep the forum upto date with how it goes.

Paul Sheraton