[Strawbale] New project in oxford 6 x 11m building - help!

Mark Bigland-Pritchard mark at lowenergydesign...
Thu Jan 26 00:35:18 CET 2006

Ruth -

I'm a long way from Oxford now, otherwise I would offer substantial
help. I advise that you get in touch sooner rather than later with an
inspector at Building Control (I think that's city rather than county
council). Their job is not only to check compliance but also to offer
advice re getting through the regs, and some inspectors can be very
helpful. Getting through regs is probably easier than you think.

Also a good idea to book your bales ahead of time - that way you can be
more fussy about the quality of bales you get (good tight dry ones). I
would just phone round a few farms, and where appropriate visit to see
the quality of last summer's bales. But if you have difficulty finding a
farmer who still produces standard rectangular bales of a quality you're
satisfied with, look up "hay and straw merchants" in the yellow pages.

Floorboards good - esp. if you are reusing them. I assume we're looking
at floor joists laid between tyres. I would attach hardboard on top (to
reduce air infiltration) - then you can put whatever surface covering
you like on top of that. If you're doing a timber floor, it's also worth
making sure you have enough space underneath it to be able to insulate
it properly - I can advise if appropriate.

Mark
Borden, Saskatchewan, Canada (but until recently in Bristol)