[Strawbale] Re: Strawbale Digest, Vol 4, Issue 9

Mark Bigland-Pritchard mark at lowenergydesign...
Wed Jan 18 15:57:38 CET 2006

Sounds like an air source heat pump - in terms of carbon emissions,
whether this is a good idea depends on the source of your electricity
(bad idea if from fossil fuels, potentially a good idea if from renewables).
Here in Canada, ground source heat pumps - more reliable and efficient
than air source, but more expensive to install - are becoming quite
trendy.  On both sides of the Atlantic (in the English-speaking bits)
they are, confusingly, marketed as geothermal heat pumps (a misuse of
the term in my professional opinion...).  The same caution applies for
these as for air source re carbon emissions, but the British electrical
generation mix (and I imagine the Irish mix isn't that much different
now) is now such that they perform better than condensing natural gas
boilers in terms of emissions per kilowatt output.
If you were to send me some info on the building design and heating (+
electrical) requirements, Simon, I could calculate for you the
approximate size of wind turbine you would need.  (But be warned: you
might be surprised how big it would need to be.  You might want to think
about ways of minimising heat consumption first.)
atb,
Mark
Borden, Saskatchewan