[Strawbale] working at the camp?

Michael lough michaelklough at sympatico...
Thu Feb 2 19:28:59 CET 2006

Chris Magwood said

We have been offered an exceptionally affordable conference rate
at  Camp Kawartha (www.campkawartha.ca), largely due to our help in
building them a straw bale dining hall and greenhouse.

Not quite clear on the details presented here I wonder if you could clarify
"our"  Chris?

Is the conference accomodation fee of $550.00 CAD offered on the basis of
conference participants providing labour to build two buildings for the camp
owners? Or would the conference participants have to pay  more than $550.00
if they were  designers or other professional ( or physically infirm) and
were disinclined to participate on the construction site? Perhaps they would
rather spend  time associating with other professionals  in touring the
area, perhaps visiting Toronto, Montreal the Great Lakes or Niagara Falls? I
make this point as I think it might be possible that the social aspect of
the conference might be of more interest to mature professionals who are
after all unlikely to fly half way around the world at some expense rent a
car, drive for hours on an expressway to then pay  to do something they
already know how to do?

If the possibility arose that no one was willing to provide  Camels Back
Construction (by any chance?) with free labour to provide the owners of the
business Camp Kawartha with two buildings then how would this affect the
management of the conference personally? It would be better perhaps for
everyone to know ahead of time if they can leave the camp at anytime or if
they have to work there as the "low" conference fee assumes that they will?…
   ;^)
This might seem a bit odd to mention but if the question is dealt with now
it might avoid "awkwardness" later?
And we wouldnt want to leave the organisers with a net  deficit in providing
what will obviously be a wonderful experience for anyone  starting out in
the straw bale building industry and students.

Michael Lough