[Strawbale] 1)vaults, domes, and 2)round houses, 3)waterproofing bathrooms

rikki nitzkin rnitzkin at hotmail...
Mon Nov 28 14:19:19 CET 2005

1)I don´t want to be a bother, but a Vault is not the same as Dome.

2)But since we are one the subject of curves . . .  I wanted to know if
anyone knows what the Minimum diameter for a loadbearing round house with a
reciprocal roof is? And a Maximum?

3)Here´s my home-made advice on waterproofing bathrooms:  I also
contemplated tadelakt but decided that if I didn´t have someone to show me,
it was too complicated.  So I plastered my wall with clay as flat as I
could, then I glued the tiles to them with normal silicon (not very eco, but
it stuck good!, I tried Frank Thomas´s  caesin/lime glue but it came out too
thin).  Since the silicon is a bit thick it made it possible to adjust to
the small difference of my mostly, but not perfectly, flat wall.  I then
filled in with normal, water-proof joint filler.  And that´s it.  Its only
been finished 3 months, but so far no problems.  My theory is that since I
live alone, it is very unusual that I take more that two showers a day, so
the acumulated humidity (my bathroom is well ventilated) is minimal, and
what I have done is enough for the amount of water that splashes on the
wall.  If you don´t want to tile, you could paint a clay plaster with
several layers of oil (new experiments in spain show that vegtable oil works
just as well as linseed . . .I hope its true, because it cost less and is
more transparent!) like they do for clay floors.  This is not entirely
waterproof, but can handle the amount of water for a shower.  I wouldn´t
recomend these techniques in a public shower to be used all day long every
day, but for a home I think it is enough. . . .