[Strawbale] Re: Strawbale Digest, Vol 2, Issue 2

Michael K Lough mkl18 at pobox...
Wed Nov 2 19:17:56 CET 2005

	Donald said

>I am surprised that several months, rain and snow caused no harmful effects
>- I guess you must have had a few sleepless nights over that one. But I
>don't think I can bring myself to leave the whole structure exposed til next
>April!

It is difficult to think of such a long time and
harsh weather in the same thought as straw I
agree but if you go through the logic of it it
does make a bit more sense.

For example. Are the bales going to blow away?
Being ripped piece by piece til theres absolutely
nothing left except a few lonely straws ?
Well ŠNO.
If there was a hurricane maybe the outside edges
might fray a bit but nothing too serious. This
only leaves snow and rain really doesnt it? And
I'm guessing you have never seen a blizzard where
the only thing that happens is that  snow which
is frozen material gathers in clumps on the
surface of the straw and stays there unless the
sun comes out and  melts it off the surface and
then dries the SURFACE. By the way snow is good
insulation.

Rain is the biggest threat, and  even when it is
horizontal it does not penetrate further than the
first solid object which in the case of  straw
means no further than maybe 3 or 4 inches This
will in the not raining period after the raining
period dry out as the wind can get that far in if
the rain could. The death knell for straw bales
is to be wetted in the middle right through from
directly above  and there is at least one
Canadian of Scottish ancestry in Ontario that in
the midst of building his 4000 square foot 2
story  home was hit with exposed bales by the
tail end of Hurricane (cant remember name) who
says bales can dry out from such an attack and it
looks like he may be right.

IF you have deep recesses in between some bales
which do go further than 3 or 4 inches then MAYBE
stuff something in these crevices to stop further
penetration or maybe just tarp it allŠ8) and
visit EVERY dayŠ;^)

all the best

Michael