[Strawbale]Measured heat flux through a real wall/ceiling

Jan Hollan jhollan at amper....muni.cz
Tue Mar 8 21:06:33 CET 2005

Mark, thanks for the overview of values.

I have to admit that spurious thermography I made up to now, both for a
single layer of 40 cm straw and for a double one (fibres going vertical in
both cases, i.e. bales edge-on) also indicates twice worse insulation
properties than those following from lambda 0.04 and using (an untenable)
proportionality of thickness and specific thermal resistance.

In our case the bales were far below 100 kg/m3.

There may be some options to increase the low resistance of bales to air
flow.  (Penetrating them with sawmill by shaking them vigorously?)

jenik