[Strawbale]strawbale shed advice

Simon Blackbourn piemanek at gmail...
Sun Sep 19 13:21:25 CEST 2004

Hi

We are thinking of building a small shed from strawbales as a
demonstration workshop on an allotment here in Oxford. We are
confident about how to do the walls and roof, but we need some advice
about the foundations and floor.

The ground is fairly heavy, damp soil and as it's in England it
obviously rains a lot! We want to keep it simple and very cheap and if
possible not to use concrete. The whole thing will be light and small,
so we don't really need foundations for strength, but our concern is
about keeping the bales away from the damp ground.

We have thought of raising it up on legs made from brick, breezeblocks
or wood, but apart from that we're not too sure. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks!
Simon