[Strawbale]Earth/Straw plaster acting as fire guard

John Glassford huffnpuff at shoal....au
Mon Oct 18 10:09:46 CEST 2004

G 'day Marcus

No worries with using the earth as you have described mate.  We like to
get our mix to 25% clay to 75% sand however that is for the finish coat
and we sometimes use a 50:50 clay :sand mix for the first coat with
chopped straw.

I only use lime in the finish coat with the earth and sand mix.  So I
see no reason for you not to carry on with your idea and come back to it
after winter is over.  I would not use the pure clay unless you have
done some sample mixes with it on a test wall and see how it behaves.

Good luck

Regards the Straw Wolf
http://strawbale.archinet.com.au
61 2 6927 6027