[Strawbale]RE: strawmud sauna

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet...
Thu Jul 22 22:11:47 CEST 2004

Rikkert,

I don't want to dampen your spirit but SB is not a very suitable material
for a sauna for the following reason. The earthplaster walls have a
relatively high thermal capacity ie they require a lot of heat to warm up.
This means to have a comfortable surrounding you have to put in a lot of
heat for a long time before you can use your sauna. If the Sauna is used
continuously it is a different matter but I don't suppose this is your
intention. Besides this very practical reason there is the other of
moisture in bales ie a sauna is not a good environment for SB but if only
used for a short time and then well ventilataed this might be not so much
of a problem.

To get around the first issue the high mass of the plaster I suggest
putting a low mass surface in front of the interior plaster Like a very
light corrugated transparent material (kunstof golfplaat) You can wrap this
around the whole area maybe not even completely from wall to ceiling to
allow good ventilation. Next I would make ventilation channels through the
SB walls near the floor that you could open after use. Obviously the
reciprocal roof will have a vented opening at the top. When the sauna is in
use you close the vents as required.

Don't worry too much about the hay. When using the hay though make sure it
is dry and stored properly before building. I suggest dipping them a la
French dip before use allow them to dry some what before stacking makes a
big difference. A good dry start of life is essential specifically with
hay. Some of the oldest SB buildings were actually built using hay and not
straw.

As I understand from your description you want to build low cost so keep in
mind that it is an experiment and be prepared to accept failure. In
practice though many old buildings were such experiments and they outlived
there initial builders.

At 07:36 AM 7/22/04, you wrote:
>Hi people i wil give  a workshop whith building a expirimental strawbale
>mudsauna .
>

> >  So what it say it is a expiriment so i wonder of some people have
> >  already some expiriments and maybe tips. I was wondering of it is already
> >  done .
> >
> >  It would be a round sauna one caretire foundation whit recipro roof   .
> >  I want try loadbearing on edge , somebody try this before sugestion ?
> >  And we can get for free hay is this posible to use?
> >
> >  when people want more info about the workhop email: rikkertx at ilse...

Rene Dalmeijer