[Strawbale]Ideas

Alex alex.richards at orange...
Mon Apr 12 15:02:11 CEST 2004

Rene

To answer one or two of your points, first off it's not actually that big, I
think it might be designworkshop's perspectives as you're not the first
person to say it. believe me it's about average house size.

To answer the why strawbales ? The idea is to use bales as "infill" style
walls, non load bearing with a post and beam construction. This is partly
for thermal efficiency in winter, partly also for environmental reasons,
with strawbales being sustainable unlike concrete blocks, and partly cos
with that much glass I had to  find some way of cost cutting anyway.

The glass itself is Pilkington K glass which gets round the problems of the
house over heating in summer, and should hopefully prevent over cooling in
winter.

As for the roof it's supported round the outside on vertical pillars - one
on each corner with two further pillars per side (12 in all) In fact the
roof structure itself is the one thing I'm really clued up on as there are
already three similar roofs in my area (two on car showrooms and one on a
workshop) all are quite light weight steel and aluminium constructions, the
two on the showrooms are that bit heavier as they're insulated (as mine will
be too). One of the showrooms has an 85 feet approx 26 metres span supported
only at the two side edges with no in between verticals at all and no
horizontal beams to prevent spreading it is literally an arc !!!

I think I've probably answered my queries now, and as it's going to be
free-standing with bale infill the structural integrity shouldn't be a
problem.

Alex