[Strawbale] Round Homes

M. Fletcher starboard62 at telus...
Wed Apr 9 18:08:24 CEST 2003

Morning!
I've just found this list and have had an informative few days, reading back through the archives. There is obviously a wealth of knowledge and experience on the list and I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it, so here I am.

It appears that at least 1 or 2 of you have built a round structure. This is of huge interest to me as there's really not much information out there on anything other than square or rectangular. I've found Rob Roy's books wonderfully informative as to structure (round) but was underwhelmed by the medium (cordwood). So I was thinking it might be possible to take some of his ideas (floating slab, "wagon wheel" rafter system, living roof) and modify it slightly to work with straw bale (far more attractive, IMHO). I would be delighted to hear from any of you who have input. For what it's worth, I'm thinking of a "very" small house, approx 20' inside diameter, single storey, and will be building either on Northern Vancouver Island or in the Maritimes. Either way, it'll be a wet climate.

Thank you in advance,
Mary
currently in Victoria, BC