[Strawbale] Two questions:

Herbert Gruber d.sign at aon...
Fri Sep 13 14:36:17 CEST 2002

Dear Coralie and Andre

1st) Linseed Oil can be mixed directly to the earthen plaster (instead of
blood, cow-dung, urine, waterglass or salt (borax), as it was done in
history) to make it a little more waterproof. Just make tries to find the
right mixture (depends on the oil-content in clay), but you need only a
little bit. As Canadian tests have shown, waterdamp-permeability is not
influenced much by linseed oil.

2nd) Borax is a salt which gives a relative good protection against mice or
moth, it even protects wood against mould for a certain time (so it is
nearly the only organic-chemical material, which gives no toxic damps to the
air, but is not liked by animals and plants). Because it is a hard but not
waterproof material when it is dry (as salt), it can be washed down by rain,
falls off etc. That means, you have to renew the covering after a time (1-2
years). But be sure to construct your wooden beams so, that no water or damp
can harm it (constructive wood-protection). Borax is not proper for
strawbale- protection, because it is only a covering.

Best wishes
Herbert Gruber
asbn austrian strawbale network
herbert & astrid gruber