[Strawbale] Roma in need

Coralie & Andre de Bouter m.ep at laposte...
Wed Oct 16 11:14:03 CEST 2002

Dear Harald

Below you find a discription of a little structure we build on our property
last spring. Quick and dirty and CHEAP.
Ok, the roof does not have a large span, but that makes it cheaper and
easier to errect. I can sent some images if you like.

Greetings,
Andre

Pallets on the ground (no foundation, nor waterbreak) and somewhat leveled
out.
Underlayment (floor) screwed on the pallets.
Big nails in the floor to hold the bales in place.
Bales, 5 courses 2string flat. (If I would do it again I would add one
course of bales)
The building is 2.5 bales wide (mesured outside)
Planks on the bales. The planks have big nails to grip into the bales.
2"by2"s on the planks. This connects the planks and makes a bit of a
roofplate. The 2x2's are placed as far outside on the planks as possible.
There is about 1.6m distance (paralel) between the 2x2's.
Two pallets are put together to make the roof structure. On one pallet we
took of one piece of the bottom so that the planks of the top could easily
be hamered onto the other pallet. The two pallets make a 90° pitched roof.
The 2 combined pallets are put on the roofplate and the 2by2's prevent them
from sliding outwards.
The pallets are tied to the roofplate.
The high piched roof gives good head space.
Outside will be earth (north and east) and lime (south and west, Atlantic
ocean side) plastered.
Inside will be earth and lime plasterd also.
We use metal roofing for waterproofing (a present from a neighbour) and
bamboo has gone on top for esthetics. I'd use the print plates if I had
them.
This structure will hold 2 showers, water heater, solar panels, and a place
to wash your hands/brush teeth.
We see this temperary structure as something to help us out for a few years,
as a way to learn about moisture and bales and to show how simple things can
be very efficient.