Odp: [Strawbale] At what point (R value) do we reach 'enough' insulation?

henryk czachor hczachor at demeter....lublin.pl
Thu Jun 27 11:29:20 CEST 2002

Dear Andre,

    If you add 5 to 5 you have 10, and 5+100=105. In both cases the increase is the same, but their relative changes are 100% and 5%  respectively. So we have to clarify about what changes we are speaking about. Any way for homogenous materials R is simply proportional to thickness x ie R=r*x
    It would be very interesting  for me to know the source US data. In USA they still frequently use Btu as the energy unit= 1058J, 1ft= 0,305m, 1F=0,55C,1pound=0,405kg ,Probably the conversion between them  can be done as follow  R US  [hr-sqft-F/Btu]/5,74 = R  SI [s-m2-K/J]. The European unit is roughly speaking 6 time bigger.
    Rene's remarks are great-one have to take into account much more data then you proposed to calculate the total heating power of your house. Once again about "enough". If the price of energy is zero you can use very poor insulation and it will be optimal one (from economic point of view). When "energy prices might sky rocket some day" such house would desequilibrate  your budget (or rather mine). I observe such phenomenon in Poland. Since 10 years thousands and  thousands of old big blocks (immeuble) and small houses are additionally insulated because the energy costs much more now.
Perheaps when you are speaking "enough insulation" you are thinking about "friendly house" - friendly for your family,pocket and enviroment.
Greetings Henryk