[Strawbale] adobe for wet climate

SVEN AERTS aertssven at mac...
Fri Dec 6 14:56:15 CET 2002

Carbonisation ! ah !
Is there a scientific reference/formula of what's happening...
I don't know what lime is (mixture of clay and organic material-?- No that's
adobe).... Er... Lime is CaC03 ?

On 06-12-2002 13:37, "Harald und Margit Wedig" <avantgarden at wxs...> wrote:

> SVEN AERTS wrote:
>> On 05-12-2002 18:50, "Barbara Jones" <strawbale at lineone...> wrote:
>> I'm a biochemist, can someone tell me what this 'carbonation' refers to ?
>> I'm trying to imagine what type of chemical transformation you are referring
>> to... But... Can't think of anything.  Perhaps difference of language ?
>> Sven-Belgium
> Hello Sven,
> when natural lime is burned ( in medieval times a lot of forest was used
> for this process) it looses its carbon.
> Once mixed with water and applied to the wall as a render or used
> between bricks as mortar ( thus drying), the processed or burned lime
> gets its carbon back from the atmosphere. This is called carbonisation.
> Harald
> ____________________________________________________
>   European strawbale building discussion list
> Send all messages to:
> Strawbale at amper....muni.cz
> Archives, subscription options, etc:
> http://amper.ped.muni.cz/mailman/listinfo/strawbale
> ____________________________________________________

More information about the Strawbale mailing list