[Paja]FW: [Strawbale] ISBBC 04 Email-update no 1. Ultimo February 2004.

rikki nitzkin
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:29:36 +0000

En cuanto puedo, pondré una versión traducido en el foro . . .
rikki
-----------------
Hi all,
This is the first of several updates about the ISBBC (International
Strawbale Building Conference) in Denemark, this June.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Lars Keller" <larskellerAlivinghouses...>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;Amelilot....muni.cz;;;>
Subject: [Strawbale] ISBBC 04  Email-update no 1. Ultimo February 2004.
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:57:15 +1030

ISBBC 04
Email-update no 1. Ultimo February 2004.

Internet-connection and phone lines are warming up, as our small organising
collective together with fellow organizers from around Europe are getting
increasingly busy with the preparations for the next International Straw
Bale Building Conference - ISBBC 2004.

We are starting to receive many emails from interested people from all over
the world, so it seems that now is the time to update you on the information
we have this far.

It is our intention to keep you updated via monthly emails.

Feel free to forward to your friends and colleagues.

If you do not wish to be on this mailing list, then please let us know.

Best ISBBC wishes

Jo, Lars & Thomas.

~~~

ISBBC 04 - Friland, Denmark
Education - The Next Generation

Aim of ISBBC 04

The ISBBC 2004 in Friland, Denmark, is for people who are in any way
involved (or want to be involved) in strawbale construction & natural
building. It is an opportunity to renew connections and to create new
networks, to exchange information and to celebrate !

The conference will feature a variety of workshops going beyond strawbale
building.

Via facilitated forums on issues such as "education in building", "women and
building", and "The socio-economic impacts of lowcost living" we hope to
bring in fresh energy and new ideas to the strawbale world.

The spirit of the whole ISBBC is to encourage, educate and inspire the
present and - particularly - the next generation of builders.

Details

More Information
It is via www.thelaststraw.org that you can keep yourself updated regarding
the ISBBC. The homepage is up by now, but is still under construction. We
will let you know when it is fully functional.

Contact
isbbcAthelaststraw...

Registration Fee
The registration fee ranges between 350 & 500 Euro, depending on your choice
of accommodation. The registration fee covers:

Accommodation sunday 13th to friday 18th inclusive

Meals from breakfast monday 14th to lunch saturday 19th inclusive

Transport between Kalø Skolerne and Friland

Morning workshops, afternoon forums, evenings, the mid-week party, the "Job
Centre", the conference book & the post-conference cd-ROM.

The fee is still subject to changes.

Registration Form
Registration can only be done via www.thelaststraw.org (not yet though).

We aim at having the form up and runnning by March 15th.

Conference locations:
Friland This is the workshop location during the conference. Friland is an
intentional community in the village of Feldballe ("field bale")
approximately 35km northeast of Århus. Friland is a showcase of different
strawbale building techniques and the use of clay plasters, mussel shells,
and a variety of renewable energy techniques. For more info visit
www.dr.dk/friland/index_english.htm (English)

Kalø Skolerne This is where accommodation, most meals, afternoon forums as
well as the evening programme will take place. Kalø Skolerne are a fusion of
two schools: an organic farming school and a language folkhighschool. It is
located one km away from Rønde, overlooking the beautiful Kalø Bay and the
Kalø Castle ruins, and is 7 km from Friland. For more info visit www.kalo.dk
(English)

Families & Children
If enough people with young children are coming, we will do all we can to
create a space for them, a workshop, and facilitate a way that parents can
share childcare responsibilities.

Pre-conference opportunities at Friland
Come early to the ISBBC and help prepare workshops, set up the conference
infrastructure etc ! Guaranteed swimming and cakes at the lake.

For more details please email us, limited spaces !!!

The ISBBC 2004 is being organised by members of:
Straw Bale Builders World Wide UnLtd

the European Strawbale Building Network

the Danish Clay & Straw Building Network

and Friland

~~~

The CONFERENCE

International Straw Bale Building Conference 2004, Friland, Denmark

Education - the next generation
June 13 - 19

The overall aim of the conference is to strengthen the community, to promote
natural building, and to facilitate a new generation of builders.

Morning workshops
Aim to cover different aspects of building an energy-efficient, comfortable
and beautiful straw-bale building.

Between breakfast and lunch, located at Friland.

The workshops will be designed according to the experience level of the
participants, with the possibility of more than one workshop on a given
topic.

Workshop list (as of February 19th)

Pre-fab walls (confirmed)
SB wall raising (confirmed)
Compressed Earth Bricks - wall building (confirmed)

Lime plastering - (yet to be confirmed)
The Danish heavy duty clay sprayers (confirmed - and no - it is not a band)
Hand plastering & finishes (confirmed)

Seaweed roofing - (confirmed)
Shingles - (yet to be confirmed)
Thatching - (confirmed)

Mass oven building - (confirmed)
Solar heaters - self-builder workshop (confirmed)

Food storage - building of an all winter food storage (yet to be confirmed)
Permaculture design as an aid in house design (confirmed)

Children only workshop - (confirmed)

Afternoon forums
Aim to develop, strengthen and guide the current direction of the strawbale
world.

Between lunch and dinner, located at Kalø Skolerne.

Each forum will have an appointed facilitator and a rapporteur.

The facilitator will have personal topic-experience, and will guide and
inspire.

The rapporteur will write a summary to be included in the post-conference
cdROM.

By having several forums it is our intention to break down the amount of
participants in each forum to such a small number that the forums will be
participatory instead of one-way-talks.

Forum list (as of February 19th)

Being an apprentice strawbale builder - (confirmed)

Networks - how to start them and how to keep them going - (yet to be
confirmed)

The socio-economic impacts of lowcost living - (confirmed)

TLS - where it´s going and where it could go - (confirmed)

Women and building - (confirmed)

Evenings
After dinner at Kalø Skolerne

Sunday 13th

Opening reception (light refreshments, but there is no dinner on sunday
13th)

Monday 14th

Opening key-note speak - the grand overview of education within Natural
Building - (not yet confirmed)

Tuesday 15th

"free roaming evening 1"

There is no common agenda for this evening. We are offering the following:

- Introduction of the Job Centre - this is where you book in on different
building projects for the Summer of Building

- To help initiate new national networks experienced facilitators will be
ready to pass on experience
- .

Wednesday 16th

The party evening

Thursday 17th

"free roaming evening 2"

There is no common agenda for this evening. We are offering the following:

- the Job Centre is open

- network building can continue
- .

Friday 18th

Closing key-note speak - the future - (confirmed)

Saturday 19th

No evening planned this far. Although.      (more later)

The STRAW TOURS
June 7 - 13

The Conference commences with two house-tour convoys which will collect
participants from different countries (including England, France, Germany
and Austria), and tour around Europe for one week. The convoys will make
stops at buildings and educational institutions along the way.

You can join the convoys by riding the bus or driving your own car. The
routes of the convoys are still under development. At the moment one starts
in Eire and one in Norway. Both end at Friland. (more later on
www.thelaststraw.org)

The SUMMER OF BUILDING
Hands on Experience
June 20 and onward

To honor and strengthen the theme of the conference, we are organizing a
"Summer of Building", with the aim of offering many young people a
high-quality learning experience in different natural building methods.

The Summer of Building is an opportunity for young people to gain more
experience in straw-bale building. During the conference, participants will
have access to an 'Job Centre' covering a number of natural building sites
to happen from June 2004 onward. A scheme (Hands for Knowledge) is set up to
facilitate the exchange of time for experience, so you can choose from a
variety of building projects that you´d like to work on during the summer.

Hosting a Summer of Building site
Are you interested in teaching someone how to build ? The Summer of Building
will be run according to the Hands for Knowledge scheme, where a fair day´s
work is exchanged for teaching, food and accommodation. If you are
undertaking, or involved in a building project from the 20th of June onward
(either northern or southern hemispheres) and are interested in teaching
skills to enthusiastic students, then please include yourself in the
register on our website, even if you´re not sure of the details yet.

Participating in the Summer of Building
If you don't think that you can make it to the ISBBC, but you'd still like
to do the Summer of Building, stay tuned in on the website for further
developments. Our aim is for this project to continue beyond the summer of
2004.

Post-conference Summer of Building goings-on at Friland
We will be participating in the Summer of Building here at Friland. The most
obvious project will be to finish off anything left incomplete from the
workshops. There will also be houses at different stages of construction to
be working on.

And last.
Please pass on this information.

. friends, nieces, colleagues .