[Darksky]Re: sanctions for the birds re: avian causalties due to office tower lights

Jan Hollan
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:00:39 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Joilene,

 protection of birds from artificial light at night should be a concern
for us in Czechia as well of course. The proposed regulation (see
e.g. http://amper.ped.muni.cz/darksky or simply
http://www.astro.cz/darksky ) does not mention bird protection
explicitly. The general obligation to avoid any direct light from outdoor
lamps into the heavens should help probably.

I know that tall buildings are another threat, esp. with shining windows
at night. There is no regulation of them in the Lombardy law I used as a
model, and in my proposal I remained VERY conservative. But with any
explicit support from Czech biologists, I'd gladly add a new paragraph
into the Statutory Order draft. I might be unpopular to demand anything
from the residents. But it is surely wise to put some restrictions on the
administrative buildings at least, in spite there are not many high ones
in Czechia.

There are also some towers in Czechia which are lit on purpose, every
night, as some people think it's marvellous. As well as for the glazed
buildings, I have no idea how much birds get killed, injured or confused
by them. Perhaps, with no guaranty that ``they do no harm'', it would be
better to put some restrictions on their lighting, knowing there are
examples on your http://www.flap.org when they do harm a lot.

(I've noticed now I have no direct link to FLAP page neither from my main
English page nor from the Czech one, just from the many texts mentioned
there, sorry, I'll correct it now.)

Unfortunately, I've found no ornithologist yet who would help me actively
in combating the light pollution. But I'll try further. I can draft some
regulations myself and just ask the biologists to support them. We've used
bird protection as an argument when lobbying in the Parliament, now we
should do something as well.

with best regards,
 Jenik

(you can phone me anytime anywhere within 6 to 21 UTC (GMT); to the
observatory anytime literally, I just may happen to be not there... I'll
gladly speak with you -- esp. when I have no strong bird-conservationist
ally in Czechia, your help would be much appreciated. I should add I'm
able to read French a bit if needed, just I don't speak.)

                                Jan Hollan
              N. Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium in Brno
Kraví hora 2, CZ - 616 00 Brno                        +420 (5) 41 32 12 87

                                   home:
Lipová 19, 602 00 Brno                                         43 23 90 96

                 member of the Society for Sustainable Living
             and volunteer of the Ecological counselling Veronica
Panská 9, 602 00 Brno, Czechia                  fax:  +420 (5) 42 21 05 61

e-mail: hollanAped....cz             http://astro.sci.muni.cz/pub/hollan