[Darksky]Re: Enviro path to state statutes (fwd)

Jan Hollan
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:11:35 +0200 (CEST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:47:42 +0200 (CEST)
From: Jan Hollan <jhollanAamper....muni.cz>
To: DarkSky-listAyahoogroups...
Subject: Re: Enviro path to state statutes

I'm sorry not being able to give any U.S. example, but
inclusion of light pollution prevention into the new law on the protection
of the atmosphere (``clean air act'') is being considered now in the
``Committee on public administration, regional development and
environment'' of the House of Representatives of Czech Republic. It is
considered a clearly _environmental_ problem fitting well into the general
protection of atmosphere. Mainly the former mayors of Czech cities (now
members of Parliament and its envir. comm.) are much in favour of including
outdoor lighting paragraphs into such a principal law.

All files concerning the needed changes of the text of the law are
available (just in Czech now, sorry) at
  http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/zakon_oo
 (the proposed amendment is based on the Lombardy law mostly, just
the intervals for making some obligatory changes are doubled).

Today, I've obtained a draft of the agreement from the Ministry of
Environment, to write the needed documents once more for them (also the
subsequent decrees with the emission limits etc.), so that they could
offer an official ministerial proposal of the needed amendment of the law.

Almost a month ago, Steve Pauley supported our efforts saying
``Excellent idea to couple clean air legislation to
  light pollution controls. It makes perfect sense.''
 It was an important help for me.  Just recently I have read the
outstanding presentation by Johnny Noles, which shows clearly, that
chemical and light pollution are to be handled simultaneously. Yes, there
is probably no better legal frame for outdoor lighting legislature, than
to implement it into the laws protecting the air. We'll see in December,
if it will happen from Jan. 1, 2002 in Czechia, it looks at least possible
now.

A simple argument, why diminished light pollution matters for perceiving
the air quality: the widespread notion of dirty urban air is in much
extent caused by the nighttime light domes over them. People say ``Oh,
look at that horrible smog.'' To see is to believe -- no measurements can
persuade people the air became much cleaner, but reclaimed starry sky can.
Cheaply and convincingly.

peaceful skies with aurora tonight,
Jenik Hollan