[Darksky]Dark sky parks

Jan Hollan
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:45:14 +0200 (CEST)

A really interesting and inspiring article from the
    Linkname: Yahoo! Groups : OutdoorLighting-Forum
 www-mailinglist:

   Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:31:04 EDT
   From: bemusabordAaol...
Subject: The ultimate fate of the stars!

        If you've looked at the satellite photos of the US at night from
different years it is quite plain that the situation is getting worse VERY
quickly and even assuming the best possible outcome, many areas have already
been lost and will never be reclaimed.  Even with what progress is being made
in the light pollution war I suspect the only thing that will ultimately be
accomplished, at best, will be to slow the growth of light pollution.
       For the vast majority of the population of North America the night sky
is no longer velvety black, bejeweled with twinkling stars and spanned by the
vast arch of the Milky Way,  It is instead, a bright, milky orange sky awash
in the glow of scattered sodium vapor light from poorly designed light
fixtures and almost completely devoid of stars.  For anyone younger than a
baby-boomer, the likelihood that they have ever experienced the true majesty
of a dark and star-spangled country sky is indeed remote and it is entirely
possible they have seen nothing in the night sky other than the Moon.  In
today’s world the twin blights of sprawl and light pollution have made dark,
star-filled skies perhaps the most immediately endangered natural resource in
North America.
       Because so few people now live under dark skies, most people’s only
access to truly pristine skies will come when they are on vacation far away
from the the city skyglow.  For that average park user, stargazing often
isn’t even on their personal radar when they visit a dark-sky park.  However,
many city bound people are so stunned by what they’ve been missing that by
the end of their visit to that park, it may well be a major factor in where
they take their next vacation.
       Interestingly, many thousands of the estimated 1/4 million active
stargazers in North America have been eco-tourists for over 20 years and for
them getting to dark skies is the primary reason that they travel.  These
wanderers often travel to North America’s most rural parks and also on
expeditions to far flung locations like: South America, Austrailia, New
Zealand and Africa in search of dark skies.
       By the mid 1990’s dedicated astronomy inns were starting to pop up and
a handful of parks were running active stargazing programs under the dark,
rural skies of some western states.  Unfortunately though, the vast majority
of people are either unaware of their existence or they don’t have access to
these programs because they are too far away or too expensive.
       To understand what motivates amateur astronomers in their unique
travel and educational habits you first have to look at the demographics of
those amateur stargazers.  Most are between the ages of 35 and 65, many are
highly educated and most are financially secure.  In the next few years there
will be a tidal wave of amateur astronomers retiring and actively seeking
darker skies.  Second and perhaps most importantly is their near-universal
desire to share the joy they find in the night sky with others, as evidenced
by the massive public education resources that astronomy clubs all over North
America roll out every weekend.  In short, they love to teach.
     Unlike most current retirees, in their retirement you will be much more
likely to find these people teaching in a classroom or sharing their
telescopes with others under dark country skies than to find them on the golf
course or at McDonalds chating over breakfast.  These amateur astronomers
will represent the largest volunteer science education resource ever made
available in North America and the Stars-In-The-Parks program is designed
specifically to facilitate the maximum utilization of this amazing resource
by getting educational programs going all over the country.
       In 1992, during my own search to find darker skies than I had at home,
I discovered a small, very under-utilized park in rural north-central
Pennsylvania called Cherry Springs State Park.  This former C.C.C. camp
turned park had superbly dark skies, high elevation and a large open field
perfect for astronomical observing.  As I observed there alone many times
over the next few years, I mused on how:  1) parks would soon be the last
places with dark skies in many areas (especially in the eastern half of the
country)  2) how to protect those dark-sky enclaves  3) how to get more
amateur astronomers to utilize the rural parks as educational sites and 4)
how to get the park-using public to join those amateur astronomers for both
fun and education.
       By the spring of 1999 I had partnered with the National Public
Observatory (a 501c3 educational not-for-profit based in Radium Springs, NM)
to assist in the nationwide promotion of the Stars-In-The-Parks concept.  Our
aim was to develop a national plan for marrying the dark-sky and facility
resources of parks with the volunteer educational expertise and equipment
amateur astronomers could supply to produce a working program that could be
used all over the North America.    But where to start?  Cherry Springs
popped into my mind immediately as the perfect prototype park to test the
concept.  All I had to do was figure out how to “sell” the idea to park
management.  After thinking about it for a while I finally thought to myself,
'just ask the park manager, all he can do is say no'.  I was fortunate to
find an enthusiastic and receptive audience in Cherry Springs State Park
manager Chip Harrison who was more than ready to listen to a plan that would
greatly increase park use.
       We have since forged a partnership that has created a unique
stargazing program and eco-tourism destination.  But more importantly, that
partnership has itself created still other partnerships that leverage our
strengths even further.
       We have vastly increased park attendance (and incidentally decreased
vandalism and littering), on virtually every dark-of-moon weekend scores of
amateur astronomers observe from the park and share their telescopes and
wisdom with anyone who comes to the park.  A major astronomy conference, the
Black Forest Star Party,  is also held at Cherry Springs now.  This
weekend-long gathering of three to four hundred amateur astronomers is part
educational seminar, part trade show, part social gathering and part
observing outting.
       The local electric utility, Tri-County Rural Electric Coop, has
pitched in by installing full-cutoff shields on outdoor lights in the area
which are purchased with profits from t-shirts sold to people who stargaze
from the park and then donated to area business and individuals, further
improving the already excellent sky conditions.
  The local tourist economy has also seen the benefit of this new park use
with nearby stores, resteraunts, motels and B&B's and even other daytime
attractions like the PA. Lumber Museum all reaping significant dollars from
this new tourist influx.
       This summer we have started regularly scheduled educational observing
sessions.  Beginning in the fall a new partnership with the local science
teachers association will see us begin to provide astronomy education to
local school classes.  By next year my wife and will be living on-site at
Cherry Springs State Park as volunteer astronomy-educators serving not only
Cherry Springs State Park, but also campers and park users at five other
nearby state parks too.  We will be available on weekends during the
seven-month observing season.  After we retire we hope to do this full-time
Stargazing sessions and an ongoing series of lectures and educational
activities designed specifically for novice stargazers will be the focus of
the program.
     Over the next few years we hope to bring many parks into the National
Public Observatory's Stars-In-The-Parks program.  Stars-In-The-Parks is all
about partnerships that produce tangible and positive benfits for parks,
amateur astronomers and the general park population, a true win-win situation
for everyone.

If you'd like more info on the Stars-In-The-Parks program and the National
Public Observatory go to:

http://members.aol.com/CherrySpSP
http://www.astronomy-national-public-observatory.org/

Thom Bemus