[Darksky]law against LP

Jan Hollan
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:45:27 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Andreas,

I was on holidays until yesterday as well. Meanwhile, lot of things
happened here in Czechia.

Jiri Grygar, a most popular Czech scientist (famous for popularising
astronomy), has visited the Environmental Committee of the Parliament (or
its House of Representatives) and it seems there is some hope to include
light pollution prevention into the prepared "Clean Air Act" (Law to
protect the air). I have to write the first proposal of the needed
amendments to the present version of the draft of the law, as well as a
draft of some letter to all the representatives and senators (the letter
itself should be then sent by the top astronomical institutions).

To do it, it would be much helpful to have some
             examples of laws (EU, Bund, Länder, Gemeinde)
 which regulate LP. Of course, we will use the Connecticut and perhaps
Lombardy one, as a precedent. But an example from across the border would
be even more convincing.

As our country tries to incorporate European legislation in its legal
system, an obstacle could be, that probably no EU air pollution laws
regulate LP as well yet. This would be no problem, as far as there is some
intention, such regulation should exist in future. I suppose our
legislators would be proud to be ahead of the EU at least in some cases.
As this one is a win-win case, it might succeed.

If you could give me some more info on the non-US legislation against
LP, I would be much obliged to you.

with best regards,
 Jenik

PS.
  Of course I will report on the progress of the case here in Czechia.