Re: Czech Republic articles on the new LP law

> Thanks so much for your hard efforts Jenik because you have set an excellent
> example and provide an entirely new standard for everyone.  You have also
> proved that it is indeed possible to reform obtrusive outdoor lighting at the
> national level.  I have been striving for this goal in the United States
> since 1999 and still have achieved very little to show for it.  Thanks very
> much and please keep up the awesome work!!!

Cliff,

 your efforts and the new US laws have been crucial in getting the LP
recognised as a serious kind of air pollution. The MPs got the translation
of the Connecticut law -- as an example that FS lighting is a way nobody
should be afraid of. And of course, anybody who is interested in the issue
goes to your LiteLynx at last, as some journalists now. A wealth of
information which is available is convincing. I mirror the LiteLynx weekly
as
  http://www.astro.cz/darksky/ctstarwchr/LiteLynx.htm#index
so that people looking at our pages get it quickly from the same server.
(Perhaps even at your site, the mirror could be mentioned, for European
users.)

I would achieve nothing were the devoted effort of all the leading Czech
astronomers and of amateurs in the Czech darksky group absent. Some ten
people apart from me, Pavel Suchan and the MP Stanislav Fischer have done
and are doing very much

Finally, an apology: when I asked for a review of a draft of our
LP-measuring project, I forgot about non-unix readers...
There is a platform-independent draft now (I have to finish it Monday),
 http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/grant/lp_res.html
or its abstract (bilingual)
 http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/grant/lp_res_a.html

> Clear skies and good seeing,
> Keep looking up!
>
> Cliff Haas
> Chair Light Pollution Education
> Astronomical Society of Greater Hartford
> http://members.aol.com/copernicanview

After three weeks of overcast weather we had a nice clear skies at last
Friday evening, with the comet being really impressive... resembling
Hale-Bopp quite a lot. Today the air has been less transparent, but still,
everybody sees that it's really a comet.  I recommend everybody to go
north from Brno in the next evenings to see how beautiful it can be with
less pollution and I express my hope that in a decade, the sky will be
darker even in Brno.

Happy Eastern,

Jenik