[magnitude6] LP in the European Parliament, car headlights

Hallo,
concerning the themes discussed in the last mails, I would like to
comment the following:

I think it is very urgent to become active. Since some years the EU is
discussing new norms for road lighting, the EN 13201 which will replace
the german norm DIN 5044 in Germany. I have the impression that -like
often (e.g. security)- the regulations for this norm will be set by the
lighting industry with its lobby. I do not know the full text, but the
values published in some catalogues of lighting firms, indicate that the
minimum values of illuminance will be higher than the old german norms.
Especially is it foreseen to illuminate also the "surrounding areas" of
the streets. In addition I have the impression that the new norms are
very complex (40 illumination classes!, treshhold increment, glare
index...), so that it will become very difficult to judge the correct
lighting levels. )If you understand the german language, you find a lot
about the theme in the brochure "good light for security on streets,
paths and places" from the initiative good light (paid mainly by the
lighting industries):
http://www.licht.de )
But I do not know, if the new norm has already been ratified or if it is
still debated, and I do not know in how far there is still a possibility
to influence it. I get some hope when I just heard, that the European
initiative that all new cars must have lights switched on even during
day and which should have been ratified for this year, has been defeated
because byciclists have protested and because of the additional energy
waste.

Concerning the new xenon headlights of the cars (mainly BMW and
Mercedes) the german DARK SKY group had already some discussions: but
the manufacturers of the cars say that there is no problem (i.e. glare)
as long as the headlights are well adjusted ... Many people too have
complained about the bright headlights but they are still in use and new
ones built, because they shall give more security?!

With best greetings
Andreas
--
* Dr. Andreas Haenel                                     *
Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/Kv0qlB/TM