Re: ski slope lighting

Sorry for the delay in my response. It has been an extremely busy month, and I
am just now getting to my "fun" emails.

You are very correct in limiting the brightness to 1 cd/m2. We have run
experiments on ski slope lighting and have produced lighting to about 3 times
full moonlight, or around 0.3 lux. In Colorado, people readily ski under full
moonlight, and so we tried to duplicate these results. The key to great ski
slope lighting is not the amount of light, but how you light it. High amounts
of "flat" lighting similar to a cloudy day can result in disastrous skiing
conditions. But, if the lighting highlights the terrain roughness with
shadows, skiers can easily see even under low lighting conditions.

Our experiment involved many expert skiers, skiing at high speeds. We asked
them when the lighting was too low for them to feel safe. It was below 0.3
lux. We also employed a vision scientist, and he said that there was plenty of
light to ski and that we could even go lower.

So, the important thing, is to install uni-directional lighting. Do not aim
the lights uphill at all. With lighting that is "full cut-off" asymmetrical
luminaires, aimed downhill, and the lens parallel with the slope, you should
have great results.
Good luck,
Nancy Clanton