Re: A monumental lighting task

> "It will be the largest free-standing bronze statue in the world and it
> will soon call Tulsa home. Bartlesville artist Shan Gray has chosen
> Tulsa over Oklahoma City for the monument that will stand nearly 220
> feet tall."o
>    http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0304/134884.html

It's time to point everybody's attention to a luxurious possibility of not
lighting a monument at all.

This opinion has been expressed clearly by Ian Campbell in
  http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/letters/public/msg00076.html

I'm sorry I did not understand it in that time, writing about an
alternative of decent ligthing instead, in a long letter
  http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/letters/public/msg00078.html

I was still obsessed with the idea of ``quality outdoor lighting'' instead
of promoting the natural night.

Fortunately, at the end of that letter I mentioned
              the option of NO ``architectural lighting'',
 stressing the true, much more difficult, or much more monumental
``lighting task'': adapting all the lights in the surroundings in such a
way that they cease to be visible from a distance, cease to disturb the
view of the night landscape. Just then a majestic dark silhouette (of a
statue, of a cathedral,...) could emerge in its full night glory against
the clear sky. Lighting businesses would not lose a market at all, they
would just have to learn a novel approach.

let's conserve and restore the night,
  jenik

PS.
 I've added a proposal on investigating causal links between lack of
darkness and obesity to the end of the text res_plan2004.* within
http://amper.ped.muni.cz/noc/english/ -- nothing new probably, but I am
not sure if it had been mentioned properly before, I was unable to find
any remark on that.