      1. Re: Newbie needs help!!
           From: kgfleming@att...
      2. RE: Newbie needs help!!
           From: "Nickas, George" <nickas@hanover...>
      3. Re: Fully shielded
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      4. Re: Re: Fully shielded
           From: "Leo Smith" <leo@smith...>
      5. Fully shielded - accessory houseside shields
           From: "David Penasa" <dpenasa@unm...>
      6. Re: Digest Number 1461
           From: "Barry Clark" <bajc@alphalink....au>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:24:27 +0000
   From: kgfleming@att...
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help!!

From: patric <patric@ghostriders...>
> kgfleming@att... wrote:
>
> > the term shielded or fully shielded should be consistent with performance
> outcome. That outcome should be observable by laymen including both those who
> enforce the requirement and those who experience it. The only suggestion I have
> is that some portion of the interior - reflective - side of any shield will be
> visible from another property in most installations.
>
> That's easy to rectify with a swab of flat black paint along the
> offending portion of the reflector, or additional house-side shielding.

Patric,

I agree that it's easy to rectify the glare (high reflectivity) with flat black paint but for the sake of a layman-friendly definition - and in recognition that flat black painted surfaces can look mighty bright when inches away from a 10k-50k light source - it's best to merely require no view to any part of the lamp. Such a definition would also inherently establish the 3-1 mounting height-to-property line minimum distance ratio. I'm not a fan of house side shields since they turn fco into fc and the view to the business end can be quite glaring.

Kevin

Message: 2