           From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
      2. Re: Is this a FCO glare bomb?
           From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:35:26 -0500
   From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
Subject: Re: Is this a FCO glare bomb?

Absolutely right  This is no FCO.  IES definition says no light above 90
degrees.  Without the drop lens it appears to be FCO but the drop lens
is part of the luminaire, so you can't have your cake and eat it.  This
is an attempt to re-define FCO using an old trick.  If you cannot comply
say that you are but by your own new definition.  The pathetic thing is
that at four to five times the mounting height in the horizontal
direction, the illumination provided by scatter from the drop lens is
insignificant.  The only reason for the drop lens appears to be so you
can see the luminaire--not for illumination!  I think there is still a
strong unwritten motivator in this kind of design that the luminaire has
to be seen to be 'real'.  All cosmetics.  gn

Message: 2