      1. Re: Urban legends from police about crime
           From: <griz@hitchhiker...>
      2. Re: Re: Urban legends from police about crime
           From: nickas <nickas@hanover...>
      3. OAAA brief
           From: nickas <nickas@hanover...>
      4. Re: Property rights vs. Dark Skies
           From: "Fitzpatrick, Eric (J.)" <efitzpat@visteon...>
      5. Tully, NY Nice 'n Easy
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>
      6. LRC quarterly July-03
           From: "Karolyn Beebe" <keedo@merr...>
      7. RE: Tully, NY Nice 'n Easy
           From: "Richard Klappal" <klappal@xnet...>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:36:00 -0400 (EDT)
   From: <griz@hitchhiker...>
Subject: Re: Urban legends from police about crime

It wasn't my intention to be smug. All too often I see articles or hear
statements that generalize by saying "scientists say...". It's like "4 out
of 5 dentist surveyed". Well, who are there dentists and who surveyed
them? I realize there is a scientist quoted in the article, but it didn't
sound like the statement about "scientists" was in reference to data from
the scientist who was quoted, but more as a generalization that scientists
are in agreement with such a philosophy. A claim that if substantiated
could be in our favor. In the future, I'll try to keep my sarcasm in
check.
Or make sure I use the standard HTML <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tag to clarify.
-Scott

> Message: 1
>    Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:30:16 -0500
>    From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
> As old Albert Einstein once said, nature is not only stranger
> than we know, it is stranger than we can imagine.  Translation?  Don't
> get smug.  gn

Message: 2
I meant my "smug" remark generically, not aimed at you Scott.  In fact I remind myself not to be smug on as regular a basis as possible.  No offense
taken.  gn

griz@hitchhiker... wrote:

> It wasn't my intention to be smug. All too often I see articles or hear
> statements that generalize by saying "scientists say...". It's like "4 out
> of 5 dentist surveyed". Well, who are there dentists and who surveyed
> them? I realize there is a scientist quoted in the article, but it didn't
> sound like the statement about "scientists" was in reference to data from
> the scientist who was quoted, but more as a generalization that scientists
> are in agreement with such a philosophy. A claim that if substantiated
> could be in our favor. In the future, I'll try to keep my sarcasm in
> check.
> Or make sure I use the standard HTML <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tag to clarify.
> -Scott
>
> > Message: 1
> >    Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:30:16 -0500
> >    From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
> > As old Albert Einstein once said, nature is not only stranger
> > than we know, it is stranger than we can imagine.  Translation?  Don't
> > get smug.  gn
>

> OutdoorLighting-Forum - "The largest uncensored and most active forum on light pollution."

> To join: OutdoorLighting-Forum-subscribe@yahoogroups...

Message: 3