           From: kgfleming@att...

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:35:40 +0000
   From: kgfleming@att...
Subject: Urban legends from police about crime

Police opinions are often offered in support of ill-conceived lighting plans,
i.e., acorns, gross overlighting, etc. One way to counter that is to pose a
question to the police "would we be safer by spending this money on lighting,
or on the police dept?" And here's an article with useful information which
could be cited in support of the point that police training gives them
expertise in criminal apprehension, not criminology. Full story at the link
for 30 days.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/5/057244-7785-108.html

Kevin

Rap sheet on full moon has flaws

By Kevin O'Neal
kevin.oneal@indystar...
July 12, 2003

When police officers finish the last report after a particularly messy run,
they'll look up in the night sky and see a bright, shining full moon. They
don't forget.

[snip]

>From such impressions are born the folk belief that strange things always
happen during a full moon. Many police are certain that the monthly high
points of the moon phases ensure that people will get bizarre and violent.

"From my experience, there is some correlation there, whether it's
scientifically proven or not," said William Reardon, the Indianapolis Police
Department North District commander who has been a police officer for 28
years. ...[snip].. After 23 years as a police officer, IPD East District
commander Darryl Pierce said, "Usually the one thing I noticed when I was
coming through the ranks was that there were more radio runs during full
moons."

But criminologists and academics disagree. And Indianapolis police statistics
don't support the full-moon notion.

[excerpt]

Scientists think the moon's glowing light may cause problems, but not because
it affects people's brains. More likely, the extra light makes it easier for
people to see at night and lets them cause more trouble, they say.

"People will probably spend more time outside," said Bryan Byers, criminal
justice professor at Ball State University, who says any moon-phase beliefs
are spurious. "Most people would care not to pay attention to patterns of
social regularity. They say, 'Don't confuse me with the truth.' "

[...Indeed.]