      1. RE: Outdoor Lighting as a Belief System
           From: Scott Griswold <griz@hitchhiker...>
      2. Re: RE: Outdoor Lighting as a Belief System
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:12:58 -0400
   From: Scott Griswold <griz@hitchhiker...>
Subject: RE: Outdoor Lighting as a Belief System

>    From: "Richard Klappal" <klappal@xnet...>
> Subject: RE: Outdoor Lighting as a Belief System
>
> IMHO, as our ancestral stone-agers began to control fire, that fire

If we go back far before fire was discovered you have to wonder, how
were people able to get around at night. Did they? Or did they just
huddle in a corner until the sun rose again? I would be interested in
hearing the true archaeological truth on this, but I would venture to
say that the very nature of the way our eyes work today tells lot of
the story.
The ability for our eyes to adjust to such a drastic range is light is
amazing. Even on a moonless night one could speculate that our
ancestors of millions of years ago were able to walk around in the dark
only by the light of the stars and by what they could see as the
eternal glow of twilight. It makes me wonder if we have lost some of
our range of dark adaption since the advent of fire and increased
artificial light at night. It also makes me wonder if we will continue
to lose the range of adaption if we allow nighttime lighting to
continue to grow. Perhaps millions of years from now, even during a
power failure, future generations will not be able to see the stars at
night for the simple reason that they physiology doesn't allow it.
Generation after generation of evolutionary changes to "keep the light
out" prevents it.

-Scott

http://www.lightfromabove.org
A Light Pollution Awareness Community