      1. Re: LightFromAbove Down
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>
      2. Re: Human Beings Actually Can See in The Dark (Part I)
           From: John Gilkison <jgilkiso@zianet...>
      3. Re: 3-watt CFs
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      4. Dangerous forward throw
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      5. Semi-TAN: binocular advice sought
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>
      6. Re: LightFromAbove Down
           From: Scott Griswold <griz@lightfromabove...>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 07:43:38 -0400
   From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>
Subject: Re: LightFromAbove Down

scottgriz wrote:

> In other news, the debate heats up at
> http://www.theamericanmind.com
>
> The owner of the site even went as far as mentioning OLF on his
> web site. I guess he must monitor this forum. I hope he
> manages to pick up some good information here and learns
> from it.  He doesn't seem too informed on the intent of LP reform.
> He seems to think we are only about preserving the night sky
> and he doesn't say much about why preventing glare and
> stopping wasted energy is a good idea.

Here's what I wrote just now. I'm ready for the inevitable
attacks ...

"The loss of the night sky is more than just an issue of
light pollution ... or better *sight* pollution; it
represents a loss of our culture and self-knowledge as well.

When the night sky, with all of its inspiration and beauty,
becomes more and more simply another extension of a strip
mall world cluttered by the wasteful debris of human
activity, we lose the sense of perspective humans have had
since they first were able to look upward. To look out into
the sky and realize that there exists a reality beyond our
own and to be able to reflect on that reality is something
exclusively human. We now risk that part of our humanity
when we use excessive and wasteful illumination.

The ancients knew the importance of our ablility to look
beyond our own world. Plato considered the sight of the
cosmos to be the origin of all science and philosophy.
Cicero wrote that even if people lived their entire lives
underground in comfort and surrounded by material wealth,
when they first saw they starry sky, they would surely
recognize the existence of the spiritual powers beyond themselves.

Without the ability to comprehend the sky because of an
unnecessary and excessive luminous fog that nightly
surrounds most us, we limit ourselves to a limited and
self-centered view of the real, non-human world around us.
And that separates us from a larger reality.

This need not be, and we should strive to correct this
easily-solved problem by using the kinds of sensible and
efficient outdoor  lighting that will ensure that our
present culture will be able to see beyond itself."

John McMahon
Classics
Le Moyne College

Message: 2