           From: rlgent1@aol...
      2. Re: Lighting Reform and Education
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:46:15 EST
   From: rlgent1@aol...
Subject: Lighting Reform and Education

Hi Kevin,

You have brought up some important points.  Thanks for sharing these with the
members of the Outdoor Lighting Forum.

Everyone at IDA shares in the disappointment with the NY veto.   Is it all
bad news?  Probably not.  You made the point that the law DID receive very
strong support despite Governor Pataki's veto.  This is all part of the
"education" process.  One Senator began publishing flyers about light
pollution, and he distributed them to every voter in his district!  Maybe
others will follow suit.  This can only help raise awareness.

We were very involved in the NY activities.  A great multitude of IDA e-mail
messages were sent to members and friends in NY answering questions and
asking them to get active.   Could we at IDA have done more?  I can tell you
that given the very small staff at IDA, we were giving it considerable time.
 We did not hear about the letters of opposition until very late in the
session.   One "opposition letter" was sent to us after the veto.  We did
discuss this situation at the recent IDA board meeting, and as we mentioned
before, a reply about the benefits of FCO lighting will be written.

We will continue to work with lighting companies to encourage them to develop
better outdoor lighting.   It is important for them to understand the market
trends and the explosion of new zoning laws to control of light pollution. So
far, this has been mostly successful.  There are some companies who are slow
to act, but in the long term, they too will begin developing better fixtures.

For others considering state laws, be prepared.  It takes time and
persistence.  You will need strong allies in the house and senate to face up
to potential lobbyists and others.   Very few laws pass at the state level on
the first try.  One of my friends who is an aide to a US Congressman says,
"First you must pass the laugh test."  Most state laws fail, sometimes many
times, before they are ever successfully passed.

We would like to thank all of you VERY much for your memberships and support
of IDA.  We need you now more than ever.  Believe me.  We are giving this our
very best.

I regret the delay in this reply, but our message bin is overflowing.   IDA
is now receiving hundreds of daily requests for help, all of them important.
To build momentum, we are currently working to bring many new IDA sections up
to speed, to publish a backlog of IDA information sheets, to work on new
membership drives, to publish a new Model Lighting Code, to help coordinate
regional and international meetings, to work with the press, and so much
more.  Life at IDA continues to be most exciting and rewarding.   Thanks
again to everyone.

Sincerely,
       Bob Gent
       Just an IDA Volunteer