           From: John McMahon <mcmahon@mail....edu>
      2. Lighting Reform and Education
           From: rlgent1@aol...
      3. Re: FCO vs. drop lens
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      4. Re: LUMEC
           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
      5. RE: Re: FCO vs. drop lens
           From: "Richard Klappal" <klappal@xnet...>
      6. Comet Ikeya-Zhang: 3/22
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@mail....edu>
      7. Welcome to New IDA Sections!
           From: rlgent1@aol...

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:14:45 -0700
   From: John McMahon <mcmahon@mail....edu>
Subject: TAN: Daylight doesn't help, though

Re: lighting stops workplace deaths ...

"At least five shot at Indiana company"

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/22/indiana.shooting/index.html

Maybe they'd better keep the lights on all day, eh? Yeah,
that's the ticket.

John McMahon

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:18:19 EST
   From: rlgent1@aol...
Subject: Lighting Reform and Education

Greetings from Italy!
          I just returned from another exciting IDA annual meeting, and I'd
like to reply about a few postings on this listserver and others concerning
the above subject.

          First, we discussed this subject at length in the IDA sections
working group meeting.  IDA sections are encouraged to speak out in support
of outdoor lighting reform.   We reviewed the IRS rules for nonprofit
organizations, and the main restriction is that we cannot give money or
attempt to defeat or support any particular political candidate.  Lucky for
us, quality lighting and support of dark-skies is usually bipartisan.

         Many IDA section leaders and officers have spoken out in person as
well as written letters in support of outdoor lighting reform.   On the
behalf of IDA, I have spoken before several different state legislation and
administrative committees to describe the problems and solutions of light
pollution.  Many of us at IDA have lost count of the number of letters,
visits, phone calls, and other actions we have taken in support of dark skies
and quality lighting.

        We recently received word that a lighting company opposed the NY law.
 A couple weeks ago during my visit to IDA headquarters, we received a copy
of the letter.  This letter has generated much interest at IDA, and please
rest assured that IDA is going to prepare a well versed response.  It will
take time.

         The idea that quality FCO street lighting always costs more money
with closer pole spacing deserves a reply.  Once we factor in the benefits of
glare reduction and improved visibility, many people will understand why IDA
and the IESNA RP-8 promote FCO for roadway lighting.  In demos at past IDA
meetings, we found that with glare reduced, total illumination levels could
be reduced.   This, in turn, reduces energy consumption, better controls
light trespass, and protects the nighttime environment.  As a general rule,
fully shielded lighting is the best way to control glare and light trespass.
Is it any wonder why so many states are going to FCO!

       Most of you are aware that the benefits of FCO lighting have been
demonstrated in many communities.  One case in point is the Premcor Refinery
in Port Arthur, Texas.  With 20,000 unshielded outdoor lights, light
pollution and energy waste was a real problem.  Fortunately, they ran a test
and found that by controlling glare with shields, they could lower wattages.
They ended up using FCO shields, and this enabled them to reduce the wattages
(and lumen output) by 50 percent. They are going to be saving nearly $200,000
per year on energy after the conversion is complete.    What a wonderful
success story!

       Also, hundreds of communities are now demanding FCO lighting in local
ordinances, zoning restrictions, and homeowners covenants.  In addition, many
lighting standards are being developed in areas without public laws.
Lighting manufacturers are responding to this demand with better FCO lighting
designs.  This is only common sense because those who don't adapt will find
they are competitively left in the dust.

         The problems of light pollution appear to be even more severe than
we originally estimated.  Several IDA members attended the ECANL conference
at UCLA, and it is quite possible that stronger action will be needed soon on
the behalf of nocturnal wildlife, not to mention the human photobiology
issues.  We seem to learn more about this at every IDA meeting.

       We would like to reiterate one of IDA's most important philosophies.
We make allies, not enemies. We believe that scientific first principles
strongly support controlling light pollution.  Although some individuals or
companies may oppose our recommendations, they do not speak for IDA, even if
they are members of IDA.

      Membership in IDA continues to explode.  This growth is fast and new
sections are forming almost every week.  This shows that the general public
is deeply concerned about our vanishing night skies, harm to wildlife, wasted
energy, and so much more.  Thank goodness quality lighting is the win-win
solution.

Wishing you all clear skies and bright stars,
             Bob Gent
             Member IDA Board of Directors and
             European Liaison Officer
             International Dark-Sky Association
                        www.darksky.org
      Protecting the nighttime environment and preserving
   our heritage of dark-skies through quality outdoor lighting

Message: 3