[DSLF] Digest Number 1715

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: Dark Sky Meter?
           From: "Friedel PAS" <friedel.pas@bvpartners...>
      2. Re: Re: Dark Sky Meter?
           From: KDConod <kdconod@yahoo...>
      3. Re: Re: Dark Sky Meter?
           From: BGSTARLITE@aol...
      4. Article about Philips LED street lighting
           From: "Barry Johnson" <johnsonb52@comcast...>
      5. Light and Breast Cancer, Newsday 7/20/05
           From: Gary Citro <callisto@optonline...>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:58:22 +0100
   From: "Friedel PAS" <friedel.pas@bvpartners...>
Subject: Re: Re: Dark Sky Meter?

That is not so good working here. It is a part in our stories, but we not focussing only on that. We started also a Platform on light pollution and working for most of our activities under that name. This plaform is a collaboration about 3 non-profit associations: The workgroup light pollution of the astronomical association, the federation of environmental associations, and a new one: Preventie Lichthinder that is giving advice support, doing some research, starting education campaigns, and so on on light pollution. When doing such presentations and information, either as actions like us Night of Darkness and Municipalities lighting without nuissance, it is done under this name. All parties informing each other on their problems and issues each other at least once a week. In that way we can talk about all issues and get so a story not only about light pollution, but also all other topics. Poeple here are more colaborating in that way.

The point is that in Belgium every 30 meter street has his light pole already for more than 40 years. So most poeple not remember the other way. When only focussing on astronomy, then you get the reaction, why we has to bring our safety in danger for the hobby of just a handfull of poeple. And astronomy you have to do with the big scopes in the mountains far from civilisation or space telescopes than it is not bothering the rest of the poeple.

Combining all aspects in one story, proving that you know something by lighting and supporting some projects on good lighting in a constructive and positve way, organizing an national awareness action like Night of Darkness that has last time 148 local activities (star gazing, night nature promenades, story telling, exibitions,... ), more then half of the municipalities where switching of a part of their ourdoor lighting (2 municipalities switching of everything) and were visited in total by more then 25000 poeple. Saying that it can be solved by lighting in the right way and not by beeing against lighting. By the priciple of lighting yes but where it is needed, when it is needed and what is needed. That is wath is working here.
And always illustrating your presentations with tons of photo's that is realy showing what you are telling. Showing good and bad skies, environmental topics, and lighting in all possible ways!

Other important aspects: be not an enemy or concurent of the lighting industry and egenieers. Let them keep their opportunities and projects. We said always that all manufactures has good and bad fixtures. When a municipality or others has choosen a manufacturer, but choosing for wrong lighting, than we do some suggestions of good fixtures of the same manufacturer. When they have not already chosen the manufacturer, just let all manufactures do a proposal and let them know that their proposam will also evaluated on light pollution. Evaluate the proposals on light pollution only and select all proposals that are ok with our goals and let the evaluation on other aspects to poeple of their speciality, let the autorities make their own choice on base of all advices they got, included your own evaluation. Do some sugestions how they can improve their material and plans, but let them doing it or add some extra's to their products in collaboration with them but maked by your own. In
 clude in the process all players in such projects.
In that way you get also a lot of support of these ligthing industry and engenieers. When they feel that you respect their work and experiences, have an eye of the goals they want to reach and look together to sollutions of that goals without light pollution, they will respect you also and will even ask sometimes participation and help from you too. Some developments and improvements done by our thechnical leader and suggested to one or more manufactures are currently in production and use by a number of manufactures, even also in the states.

But with quit more lighting poles than citizen in Flanders, it will still a long way before this all will have a real effect on the night sky. Big companies and some sectors are more dificult to collaborate and we need more poeple doing the job. Currently this all is done by 10 volunteers in the three organisations together. Most of them spending quit all their free time on light pollution.

Regards,

Friedel

DatumMon, 18 Jul 2005 22:52:01 EDT
OnderwerpRe: [DSLF] Re: Dark Sky Meter?

> Yes Friedel, what you say is very true, especially when you want lighting
> designed properly. However, the majority of town officials would better
> understand the straight magnitude method than the hard core engineering and physics
> presented at the symposiums. By the way, my apologies to any town planners
> and councilmen who are lighting engineers; I know you love the technical stuff!
> We do need you!
>
> I've gotten more officials sympathetic to my cause by handing out copies of
> "There Once was a Sky Full of Stars" than giving them formulas that quickly
> glaze their eyes.
>
> The scenario is so simple: Mr. Councilman, I can't hold the star parties
> you and your family enjoyed so much last year (Remember when your kids wanted
> to go home but you couldn't take your eyes off Saturn and the Andromeda
> Galaxy through the telescope?). Because now, Mr. Councilman you approved all
> those non-shielded parking lot lights and the dark sky is only a memory.
>
> There is a saying mentioning something about "the forest for the trees." I
> think it applies here.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Bill

Message: 2