[DSLF] Digest Number 1719

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Dark Sky Meter for research
           From: BGSTARLITE@aol...
      2. Re: LED Streetlamps
           From: "Barry Johnson" <johnsonb52@comcast...>
      3. Light Pollution in Legal Cases
           From: Mike Hansen <mhansen@einhornresearch...>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:33:54 EDT
   From: BGSTARLITE@aol...
Subject: Re: Dark Sky Meter for research

In a message dated 7/22/05 8:35:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jhollan@amper....muni.cz writes:

And  there is another important research field: amounts of light on
overcast  nights. They should be lower than on the clear ones. However, in
urbanized  areas they are not. This is of course a major disruption of
natural  environment, with various probable impacts on wildlife. What's the
sky (or  terrain) luminance at your site on non-clear moonless nights? You
can  measure it now...
List members:

This is an excellent argument for metered dark sky readings. I  never thought
of using cloud reflectance measurements to bring "to light" our  cause.
It is possible to "track down" lighting offenders by noting where the
reflected glow is emanating from on a low cloud or mildly fog laden night. The
color, thus, the type of light is usually more evident on foggy  nights
Using a basic light meter may bring about acceptable results also.
It is discouraging to be able to read a newspaper in your backyard solely  by
the light reflected off the low cloud ceiling.
Here, simple star magnitude estimates couldn't work.

Bill, Massachusetts  USA

Message: 2