Re: [Strawbale] Strawbale Digest, Vol 72, Issue 1

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 17:54:31 +0000
From: donald mchardy <fieryx@hotmail...>
To: <strawbale@amper....muni.cz>
Subject: Re: [Strawbale] Strawbale Digest, Vol 71, Issue 12

Are you looking for recipes for plaster? Houses to visit? People who work with strawbale?
Yes, all of the above - but in SA. I'm familiar with the N European way (built a small SB a few years back) but now I'm looking for the SA take on things.

Thanks for the book suggestions. What's the title of your book?

cheers

Hi again,

sorry for the delay in responding. Your email got lost in the mountain...

As for personal contacts, write me off-list, specifying which country and I will send you a list of contacts.

As for "recipes" for plaster, you should first learn that with Clay one cannot give precise recipes. Because every clay is different and every sand is different, so the only way to know is to try it. As a general rule:
	-if it cracks, add fiber (ex. straw) and/or sand
-you almost never need more than 4 parts of added material to 1 part clay
	-If you apply by trowel, more sand. If you apply by hand, more straw.

The Title of the book is: "Casas de Paja: una guía para auto- constructores" by Rikki Nitzkin and Maren Termens.

It can be bought internationaly on Amazon.com

take care,
Rikki
Rikki Jennifer Nitzkin
rikkinitzkin@earthlink...
www.rikkinitzkin.wordpress.com
0034 657 33 51 62
Aulás, Lleida

"Nunca puedes cambiar las cosas luchando contra la realidad existente. Para cambiar algo, hay que construir un nuevo modelo que hace obsoleto al actual." Buckminster Fuller