[Strawbale] Big bale insulation values (Derived from 'Repair work on danish strawbale house')

Dear all,

The last question by Michael Jorgensen brings up an issue discussed during our recent 'Big Bale Building Basics' workshop. An issue which none of us were able to answer satisfactory, and which we'd appreciate input on.

As we cut through some of the big bales (70x120x1900), (which we stacked on edge) it was evident that the individual straws was extremely compressed, much like what you see when you cut in some of the 'Stramit' panels (in CZ: 'Ecopanely' ). It's visual in this album: https://picasaweb.google.com/permamax/BBBB2BigBaleBuildingBasics?authuser=0&feat=directlink

We deducted that a BB gives less insulation per cm3 than small bales (but as it's thiker it's fine), however also less air movement. Question is what how the real parameters look like? It also brought up the issue of diffusion when building with big bales to passive house standards. A concern was that a BB wall would need a moisture break membrane due in order to ensure the condensation point didn't occur within the bale

This is all well beyond my humble knowledge... Any rocket scientists out there?

Cheers,
Max

In your experience will bigbales have a relatively better insulation
effect than the small traditional ones. My thoughts are that they
are very heavily tightened and there the free floating air inside is
less than in the small bales (relatively). Am I wrong? What do you
recommend and what do you use yourself?

Michael M. Joergensen
Om Kaeret 4A
DK- 2800 Lyngby