Re: [Strawbale] Hello everyone!

Hi Raquel,

Welcome, your project sounds interesting.

1. Drainage is always a good idea, do you have frost or snow during winter where you are building ? generally I would say it´s a good practice. saying that if the bales are really a meter seperated from the ground & you have some humidity barrier between them and your base, and not expecting snow to pile up you might be able to save on drainage, or at least plan a drainage system that is not so strict, but then again, drainage is not such a big expense & it does help having a dry surrounding which is practical in many ways.
2. Rodents are able to climb where ever thay want! - keep your walls well rendered, and your roof & foundations well sealed, for a rat or a mouse a meter walking on a pilar or even a flat wall is not a big problem, especially if he can nest in these cosy straw bale walls...there are a
3.As for earth roof I couldn´t say as I have no expiriense with that, but be sure to have a very well dry roof - north of Spain is very wet and you need good protection

Good luck & regards,

Amit Kvint
www.pajaiso.net