Re: [Strawbale] Lego blocks from Straw

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:07:49 -0500, Marc Huebner <marchuebner@gmx...> wrote:

Does anybody know what kind of glue the guys from oryzatech are using?
This sounds like they are using some kind of thermoplastic!?!?

The blurb that I saw in the link that Duck Foo'd provided mentioned "polyurethane (MDI)" as the binder.

MDI = Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate ("cyan-ate" as in "cyan-ide"), C15-H10-N2-O2 fairly innocuous but a potential allergen/sensitiser and in a fire the plast-e-c-chhh will generate toxic smoke.

But for that matter, many people are allergic to straw (or more precisely, the allergens that are often found on straw) and in any fire, it is usually the smoke, not the fire that kills.

That being said, as any woodworker can probably tell you, steam-bening wood is a process of softening the lignin binding the wood fibres together, thereby allowing the fibres to slide past one another during the bending process without fracturing the wood and upon cooling, the lignin, like a thermoplastic, solidifies again, fusing the fibres together again and retaining the bent shape.

I would have preferred to see the Oryzatech people utilise the straw's lignin as a natural binder rather than the plast-ecch! one but I suppose that there's be a trade-off in terms of manufacturing energy required.

I'm not too fussy on the blocks being designed to accommodate steel rebar and concrete in the cores for stiffening either in the same manner that foamed plast-echhh! stay-in-place insulating concrete forms (ICF) are erected.

Baleheads long ago learned that core-stiffening elements like rebar or threaded rod placed at the neutral axis of the wall section is the least effective placement for those elements, not to mention that placement at that location is a major pain in the butt (PITA).

I think that Oryzatech would have been better off simply keeping the block cores solid and perhaps providing a series of surface channels which could be used to accommodate exterior tensioning elements (if preferred over simply using tensioned mesh) and/or electrical wiring.

and elitalking <elitalking@hughes...> wrote:

I am wondering how tight the construction is. Is it relying on the stucco or other layers to provide air barrier. It mentioned structural qualities. Is exterior sheathing required? Does the rigidity of the interlocking elements sufficient to provide lateral bracing?

Having never seen one of the blocks and assuming that the pee-you binder fills the interstitial voids between the straw fibres, I suppose that if one were to dip the blocks into a clay slip before setting in the same manner that Meathook (aka Norbert Senf) dips and sets the firebrick for his masonry heater cores, the combination might be relatively air-tight but I suspect that the wall system would still require a wet-applied plaster in order to provide an effective air-seal.

I suspect that non-seismically-active areas, in-plane shear wouldn't be much of an issue, and at most, some diagonal tension straps at the building corners might be required.

Out-of plane lateral resistance... ehhhhh, maybe not so much. I'd be inclined to mimic the exterior tensioning systems developed for real strawbale construction.

I like that someone is looking at utilising straw to make a more uniform building block than the toilet-paper-for-livestock bales that straw builders are using now, however at this point, I'm not convinced that Oryzatech has got it right yet. Maybe their Beta version will be closer ?

Years (decades ?) ago, a Quebecer (Louis Gagnon of the concrete + bales honeycomb wall fame) took the approach of modifying a standard baler to produce better-quality building bales. [Mentally balancing/comparing a Louis Gagnon modified baler all-straw bale in one hand vs an Oryzatech plast-echhh! + straw legoBale in the other]

And according to the Oryzatech promotion blurb, their 15 lb per cu ft block yields a wall that is triple the R-value of a conventional 2x6 wall ? While I suspect that the polyurethane content may contribute something to enhancing the R-value of unadulterated straw, I strongly doubt that it enhances it to the point of providing almost R-60 in Murrican units ft^2*hr*degF/Btu (or RSI 10.57 in metric units m^2*degC/W ).

=== * ===
Rob Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
<A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")