[Strawbale] Re: psocids

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:54:56 -0400, peter van balen <peter@tentotwo...> wrote:

So I remain a bit puzzled (maybe they're not psocids?)

Peter;

If you've not already had a look at the "Bugs In Wet Conditions" file stored as SB-r-Us, you might want to. It will have images of the various critters that appear in human environments when there are amenable elevated moisture levels and contains discussion about each.

When trying to capture the images of little critters whose size may only be 1.5 - 3 mm in size, it sometimes is more effective to use a scanner rather than a camera.

What I've often done is *gently* sandwich the little critters between pieces of acetate (or similar thin, hard, clear plastic), taping the edges if necessary to prevent their escape and then place the bug sandwich onto the platen of the scanner, juxtaposed with a scale and covering with a sheet of white paper --and then scan both sides at the highest resolution setting possible.

If you end up with good quality "mug shots" of your as-yet unidentified/questionable-identity bugs, I'd be happy to include them in the file for future reference.

Good quality images always make identification easier.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom