[Strawbale] Re: [SPAM] GSBN:Fern Bales

I think ferns might have a similar result to sugar cane bales which have been used around here (Queensland, Australia). The difference is that the bale is made of leaf rather than stalks and consequently it does not give as good a key for the render as compared to straw bales laid flat, so I've been told. I suspect it also doesn't trap air as well so would have a lower R value. Cane bales are usually used for lower-quality constructions like farm sheds, and only because they are cheap. However, if they have an abundance of ferns there's no harm in experimenting.

-AW

Rikki Nitzkin wrote:
Has anyone ever built with Fern Bales
before? [...]