[Strawbale] Re: the BIG question

Paul, Michael,

I will reserve my remarks to certain points your respective mail.

First of the BIG question:

The big question in SB building is dealing with moisture. Convection currents within a SB wall could potentially contribute to moister problems developing but only as a secondary effect. The main contributor being leaks in the interior plaster finish of the SB wall. All leaks can allow moist interior air to enter the straw and condense on cold surfaces like the outer plaster finish. The amount of moisture moving through an intact plaster interior is of no significance and would normally not cause moisture problems in the SB wall barring very serious cold bridges due to poor detailing. The main issue is thus the prevention of leaks and maintaining the integrity of the interior plaster finish whatever is may be.

Watching his experiments crumble back into the reclaimed swamp at the mouth of the Rhine
Rene Dalmeijer